Open Charge Point Protocol 2.0
In April 2018 a new version of OCPP was released, OCPP 2.0. This new version contains a lot of new features covered in 116 use cases. OCPP 2.0 is based on JSON. See added/improved functionalities below.
1) Device Management:
Features to get and set configurations and also to monitor a Charging Station. This is a long-awaited feature, especially welcomed by Charging Station Operators who manage complex multi-vendor (DC fast) charging stations.
2) Improved Transaction handling:
Especially welcomed by Charging Station Operators who manage large numbers of charging stations and transactions.
3) Added Security:
The addition of secure firmware updates, security logging and event notification and security profiles for authentication (key management for client-side certificates) and secure communication (TLS).
4) Added Smart Charging functionalities:
For topologies with an Energy Management System (EMS), a local controller and for integrated smart charging of the EV, charging station and Charging Station Management System.
5) Support for 15118:
Regarding plug-and-charge and smart charging requirements from the EV.
6) Display and messaging support:
To provide the EV driver with information on the display, for instance regarding rates and tariffs.
7) And many additional improvements requested by the EV charging community.
INDEX OF OCPP 2.0
The OCPP 2.0 download consists of the following:
- Part 0 Introduction
- Part 1 Architecture & Topology
- Part 2 Specification: Use Cases and Requirements, Messages, Data Types and Referenced Components and Variables
- Part 2 Appendices: Security Events, Standardized Units of Measure, Components and Variables
- Part 3 Schemas
- Part 4 Implementation Guide JSON
- Part 5 Certification Profiles (the contents of this file will be added later!)
- Part 6 Test Cases (the contents of this file will be added later!)
The OCA at this moment has 120 active participants from 27 countries on 5 continents, but the OCPP community is even larger, with thousands of companies in 109 countries on 5 continents. Given that OCPP2.0 is a major OCPP release OCA greatly values the input of this larger OCPP community. Therefore OCPP 2.0 was not only reviewed by our experts and OCA-participants, but also by non-members who already work with OCPP. The OCA is very grateful for all the valuable feedback we have received.